Tuesday, March 27, 2007

ya feel lucky, punk? Well.... do ya?

Fresh off the looney press that documents my life, here's what just happened a few minutes ago. Since we had this unusually warm day in Philly today (it hit 80 degrees), I decided it would be fun to dust off the bike and take my inaugural Spring jaunt through the neighborhood streets. The wind was in my face up one street, at my back down the next. The quadriceps burned as I strained to stay in high gear up the relatively minor grade - man, am I outta shape. Anyhow, here's where it gets interesting:

I reached down for the brand new water bottle I had just minutes earlier washed and filled with Propel (yep, it's "how Gatorade does water" -- when they're not doing water with Gatorade mix in it). I took a few gulps, and dropped the bottle back into its holder, only I misjudged where the holder was, and the bottle bounced off the bike frame onto the ground. Well, from there, it took a bounce on its end, landed on its side, and went into a backspin of some sort. As I turned the bike around, figuring the bottle would find its home smack dab under the middle of a truck (Murphy's Law), I discovered yet another variation to Murphy's Law: An object dropped in the middle of the street will come to rest directly under the middle of the nearest parked truck, UNLESS THERE IS A STORM GUTTER ANYWHERE ON THE STREET. I searched under every parked car and truck, to no avail. The gutter was grinning at me, through its metal braces. Damn, I really thought that new water bottle and I were gonna be long-time buddies, too. I'm guessing if those odds had been applied to a lottery ticket, I'd be at least a thousandaire right now.

photo credit: jalexartis via photopin cc

No comments: